What's News in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
First Fire Engine to Return
Back to News
On Monday, August 4, 2008, the Pleasant Prairie Village Board voted to approve the purchase of the original fire engine owned and operated by the Town of Pleasant Prairie. The Pleasant Prairie Fire & Rescue Department approached the Village Board with a proposal to purchase the 1936 Peter Pirsch and Sons fire engine with funds provided by the Fire & Rescue Association, a group which is comprised of Department members.
The Town of Pleasant Prairie first purchased the 1936 engine directly from the manufacturer, a local Kenosha company, Peter Pirsch and Sons. It was used to fight fires in Pleasant Prairie for approximately 25 years before being decommissioned and sold as surplus to a member of the Fire Department, James Harman, in 1961. The fire truck was moved from Pleasant Prairie to Paris when Harman sold his home in Pleasant Prairie and relocated to the Town of Paris in 1988. At that time, the engine was given to the Paris Fire Department.
The Fire & Rescue Association will pay $5,758 to reacquire the 1936 Pirsch Engine. The repurchase price matches the original amount paid to the manufacturer for the engine in 1936. “Members of the Fire & Rescue department intend to restore and maintain the engine as a palpable piece of area history,” commented Pleasant Prairie Chief of Fire & Rescue, Paul Guilbert Jr. “It’s a real, working piece of history that Pleasant Prairie Fire & Rescue can share with current and future generations.”