What's News in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

State Election Law
Beginning in 2012, you cannot receive a ballot until you have met identification (ID) requirements. (Please see the Photo ID Exemptions/Exceptions section.) Wisconsin does not issue a separate Voter ID card. Instead, you must use one of the forms of photo ID listed below. Your photo ID does not need to show a
current address.

The following forms of photo ID are acceptable for voting purposes and can be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election (currently, the November 2, 2010 election):

• Wisconsin driver license
• Wisconsin DOT-issued photo ID card
• U.S. passport
• Military ID card issued by a U.S. uniformed service

The following types of photo ID are also acceptable for voting purposes, but must be unexpired:

• Certificate of naturalization issued within last two years
• Unexpired Wisconsin driver license or state ID receipt
• ID card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin
• Unexpired ID issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college that contains an issuance date, student signature, and expiration date within two years of issuance, along with a separate document showing proof of current enrollment

If you are eligible to vote but do not have an acceptable ID, you may obtain a free ID for purposes of voting from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT). Please visit either a local DOT service center, the DOT website at www.dot.wisconsin.gov or call (608) 264-7447.

Photo ID is always required when voting at the polling place and at the Clerk’s office unless you are a confidential elector. Photo ID is not required for these absentee voters:

• Military electors
• Voters who are permanently abroad
• Confidential electors

Photo ID is not required, but is replaced with alternative requirements for these absentee voters:

• Indefinitely confined voters
• Nursing home and other care facility residents who have ballots delivered by a Special Voting Deputy
• Residents of care facilities who are not visited by a Special Voting Deputy

For detailed information about the Voter Photo ID law, please visit the Government Accountability Board (GAB) website at http://gab.wi.gov, call 1-866-VOTE-WIS or contact the GAB Help Desk at (608) 261-2028
or TTY 1 (800) 947-3529.


Absentee voting in the Clerk’s office is now restricted to the two weeks before an election. Absentee voting now ends at the close of business on the Friday before the election. Beginning in 2012, absentee voters in the Clerk’s office must present the same type of photo ID that is required at the polls.

Beginning in 2012, absentee requests for ballots sent by mail must be accompanied by a photocopy of an acceptable form of voter ID. Exemptions are listed above. Once you have sent the Clerk’s office a photocopy of your ID, you will not need to send photocopies with future absentee ballot requests unless you change your name or address.

Voters must sign the poll book to obtain a ballot. The poll book now contains a signature block for each voter. Only one poll book needs to be signed. Voters unable to sign the poll book because of a physical disability are exempt from this requirement. If this applies to you, tell the election officials that you are unable to sign because of a disability. Election officials will write “exempt” in your signature block.

You can register to vote up until the Friday before the election or on Election Day. You must reside at your address for 28 consecutive days to be eligible to vote, and you may no longer use a corroborating witness as proof of residence. Proof of residence is required when registering at Village Hall less than 20 days before an election, on Election Day, and for first time Wisconsin voters registering by mail. The following documents are acceptable proof of residence (All proof of residence documents must include the voter’s current name and address):

• A current and valid Wisconsin driver license or identification card
• Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
• Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card
• A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
• A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk
• A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before Election Day. Electronic statements may be used only if printed
• Bank statement. Electronic statements may be used only if printed
• Paycheck
• A check or other document issued by a unit of government
• An affidavit on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes
• Residential lease (not valid if registering by mail)

For additional information, click here or contact the Clerk’s office Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at: Village of Pleasant Prairie, 9915 39th Avenue, Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158; 262/694-1400; or ClerksOffice@plprairie.com.

Back to News