Garbage Recycling & Hazardous Waste
A Great Time Saver
Your recycling and garbage program makes recycling even easier than before! You'll find that the program is:
Easier, Cleaner and More Convenient
- No more sorting and bundling paper and cardboard recyclables, they can all be placed in the same bin!
- Set your recyclables out every other week instead of every week!
Best of All, Recycling Saves Money and the Environment!
- Newly designed bin has large wheels for easier transport to the road!
- Hinged cover helps with odor control and has a neater appearance!
- The more recycling materials that are sorted out of the garbage stream, the lower the costs for garbage collection!
- The more we recycle, the less we negatively impact our environment... both locally and worldwide!
Find Your Collection Day
2014 Spring/Fall Leaf Collection Schedule
Because our program is highly automated, it's important that you pay special attention to where and how you place your bin at the roadside. Please place your cart at least five feet away from fire hydrants, telephone poles and other obstructions and five feet between recycle cart and garbage cart. Please have your recyclables to the roadside by 6:30 am on your scheduled pick-up day. An automated recycling collection truck, with a single operator, will automatically (with a remote arm) pick-up and dump your recycling cart and then return it safely to the ground. This technology enables only one operator to collect all of the residential recyclable material in the village. While recyclables will be collected every other week, your garbage will still be collected weekly.
Please Recycle! It Pays!
The more recycling materials that are sorted out of the garbage stream, the lower the costs for garbage collection. Here's why; the Village of Pleasant Prairie uses single stream recycling. Single stream recycling is a process where all recycling materials are combined together and then later sorted at a remote transfer site. This allows you to combine paper, cardboard and other recycling materials into one recycling cart. Since recycled materials do not have a tipping fee, as garbage does, the Village saves this fee, plus environmental fees and taxes. These savings area passed on to you. The more you recycle, the more everyone saves. Thanks for recycling!
Acceptable Recycling Items
||Chip paper (cereal boxes)
||Mixed paper (magazines and newspapers)
||All plastic bottles, cans & containers
|All glass containers
||All aluminum cans and containers
||All Steel cans and containers
- Recyclables placed out on the wrong week will not be collected.
- Garbage will not be collected if recyclable materials are found in your garbage bags and/or cans.
- Recyclables will not be collected if any garbage is found in your recycling cart.
- Violations will be "tagged" with an explanation of the problem.
- Do not place garbage or recyclables in brown paper bags or cardboard boxes.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding recycling and/or garbage, please telephone the Department of Public Works at 925-6700 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm or email email@example.com.